Daisypath Anniversary tickers

March 25, 2014

The End of An Era

Last Monday, St Patrick's Day was Littlest One's birthday.  She turned 4.

I've come to accept that this is it for us.  We're truly done with babies at our house, unless God has something He hasn't yet revealed to us...

We put our double stroller up for sale last week...we purged the playroom of all things "baby" or "toddler"...and I packed up the last of the truly baby items for sale throughout the Spring.

The real deciding factor was when we started planning a vacation and realized that we truly no longer have anyone that qualifies for free admission anywhere anymore...

I love my kids and the amazing people they're turning into - their unique personalities and strengths and passions that are already so strongly manifested.  I love that I can ask Littlest One to blow her nose and she can do it, into the tissue, and then throws her tissue in the garbage and washes her hands.  I love that she can do almost all her clothing fasteners alone without help.

But then I realize that in just a decade I'll be sending Captain off to college, and will have 2 young ladies in my house, and I just want to stop time...

I'm truly and amazingly grateful for the fact that my kids are healthy and have no delays or conditions that require major anything.  We get to enjoy them, whole, healthy, hale and only worry and pray about things like how they'll fare at school, or what kind of spouse they'll choose...

I know there are so many things we could be facing with our kids, with each other...

And as I look at their 3 faces, bright eyes, curiosity and wonder showing in everything they do, and as I chuckle over their silliness...I know we're right where we're supposed to be...

Somehow, at the end of the day, seeing how much more of the bed they're all taking up as tuck them in, I realize that I'm at the end of an era of parenting...


1 comment:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Marking time is so different with kids, isn't it?

Abiding with you as you face the end of an era.