Daisypath Anniversary tickers

March 16, 2011

Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May, Old Time it is A-Flyin'

This is a bittersweet post...and will be only one of many as my children grow and age...

Thankfully, as of right now, we are contagious germ-free in our house (prayers it stays that way please!!!). Captain has a double-ear infection. Thankfully, this may be our 5th ear infection since August 2010, BUT it is only his 2nd. Princess of Everything has had 1, and Littlest One has had 2. We had a stomach bug, a bout with the flu, and numerous colds. I am so incredibly grateful to be an at-home mom...I never thought about what a blessing it would be to stay at home with sick children, but I added up the days and doctor visits and prescription costs, and we'd have been out almost $5000 in missed days of work, half-day fees at school, and the cost of the co-pays and related things that we needed for sick babies. YOUCH! I also think I'd have been fired by now for taking that much time off...

Anyway...this wasn't about that...

Monday, BB had some hefty dental work done, and has been hanging around ever since, subsisting on smoothies, protein drinks, pudding, Jell-O, yogurt, scrambled eggs, and oatmeal. I'm grateful he's feeling well enough to be back at the office today. Not that I want him to NOT be around, but sometimes, I get frustrated that at the slightest twinge of discomfort, he wants me to wait upon him hand and foot. Having to be the primary care-giver and taxi driver throws off everything else in our house (it shouldn't, but it does nonetheless), and then he gets upset that I haven't done some housekeepy type thing like actually folding and putting away laundry, or vacuuming the carpet...anyway...he's at the office today and it's been nice. A fairly normal day.

The real reason for the bittersweetness of this post follows:

I dropped off the final registration papers for Capt to be in Kindergarten next fall. I know he'll only be 5 this summer, but he is so very ready for it. He's at the top of his class in pre-k, and has shown huge leaps in motor skills in the last 10 weeks. It's just weird to think of myself as having a child in "real school"...I sometimes wonder whose life I'm living and just when they'll show up and demand it back. (rather like Unknown with Liam Neeson - without all the scary stuff)...

Princess of Everything told me the other day that when she grows up, she's going to get married and move to Hawaii. And she was very serious about it. How did my little smiley girl turn into this suddenly grown-up 3 year old thinking about marriage?!?!?!? GAH!!!!! While we enjoy letting her express herself with dress-up and other girly things like hair ribbons and dance class, we do not promote the idea of a pre-defined role of wife being her only option in life. We promote very much the idea that our kids can do whatever they want (as long as it's legal!)...

And on top of that, Littlest One has finally decided that she's ok with ice-cold milk in a cup. And in fact, has begun turning away from me during what would normally be the snuggle/rock/nurse before afternoon nap time in favor of going to sleep on her own with her sippy cup grasped tightly in her chubby fists, guzzling her whole milk and eventually drifting off to sleep...

that's what really has me today. It's tough, being mostly sure that this will be our last little one. BB is pretty convinced that while our 3 are amazingly wonderful and we're blessed, he's also still convinced that 2 was more than enough, and 3 is pushing his limits. :D I'm not entirely joking on this one either - his magic number was 2. He thinks I'm nuts when I tell him I could do this again at least 3 more times. If it wasn't for the fact that I'll be 36 this fall, I think I would do it again 3 more times.

Last night we watched the new show "One Born Every Minute"...it was amusing, and endearing and both BB and I got all teary-eyed when each new little one was presented. And it made me yearn for another tiny baby in my arms...

No comments: