June 23, 2010


It has been relatively hot this week. The sort of hot that makes you enjoy being outside to work in the yard, or play with the kids, or sit in the shade of a tree and read a book and blow bubbles...the sort that then makes you happy to be able to come inside to the air conditioning and the quiet darkness...

However, that has been ruined for me with the freaking humidity! Seriously, it was only 87 at lunchtime today, but the humidity level was over 40% (crazy for around here), and I felt like someone was sitting on my chest...ugh!

In addition to the crazy weather issues of humid plus hot, I'm getting stuff ready for a garage sale. Unfortunately, they don't call it a garage sale because you hold it in your air conditioned house. And, unfortunately, BB is not keen on my cleaning all things off, pricing, and sorting things in our basement to be carried out to tables in our garage...no, no! He wants to put it all in the garage and then clean it all off, price it, sort it, and organize it...

To add to this misery of sitting in my garage which gets all the afternoon sun (the hottest part of the day!) pricing dirty old crap that we don't want anymore...the baby is going through a growth spurt and is wanting to nurse every 2 hours during the day. She's also waking up once in the night to eat. Not an issue per se, but Captain had a header down the driveway on Sunday, and is sporting scraped knees, a scraped hand, and still sporting a nasty scab on his finger that got caught in the door on his birthday weekend. Add it all up, and he's whiny and sensitive about his owies. He is convinced that they will hurt if he doesn't have a bandage on it, and I refuse to keep it covered once it is scabbed over (with the exception of said finger...that stayed bandaged for 2 weeks in the hopes that it help it heal and keep the damage from getting worse). DG took a spill into our roses yesterday and is all scraped up.

I had grand plans yesterday of sending the kids out while it was cool and getting all things cleaned, priced etc while they played and not 20 seconds after I came in, Capt came running in to tell me of DG's accident. It took a good 45 minutes to clean, soothe and settle them both to watch a movie. Then the baby woke up and needed to eat. And then it was time for lunch, and then, and then, and then...

Monday was spent trying to get everyone up and going, and then I went to the grocery, and when I came back, the kids refused to nap, and I spent the afternoon picking up and cleaning up after them.

Today, however, I was up at 5:30, got myself up and ready for my day, got everyone cared for, and fed, and was at the bank right as they opened the drive-thru. We took care of our financial items, hit Target for a return and and exchange. We grabbed an early lunch and came home. I settled the kids for a carpet picnic, and cleaned the kitchen.

I was FINALLY able to get all 3 napping at the same time and spent the last 2 1/2 hours in glorious silence in our hot garage, dusting, pricing, sorting and organizing all things for the sale.

I have all but one box sorted and organized, and a few large things to tag and take out to the garage.

I am not going through the rooms again to see if there's anything else we want to sell in this stupid sale.

I will be putting my foot down after the sale that only the furniture comes back in the house. All other things will be donated. Period. End of story.

I am not cluttering up my basement with junk again. Period.

End of story.

Now the kids are awake, and I need to get some chicken in a quick marinade for supper tonight, change the propane tank, feed the baby, and then make some salad, get some cous cous ready to cook, and then we'll just have to grill our chicken and cook our cous cous for supper.

I am not staying up past 10pm tonight. I will NOT be up til midnight tomorrow night making the garage sale happen.

I will be in bed at a reasonable hour and we will be HAPPY and THRILLED with each other come Friday morning.

Oh yeah...did I mention that after the sale is done, we have to have everything packed up, donated or put away, and then I have to totally clean this house from top to bottom and do about 80 loads of laundry and then pack for a 2-week road trip with a pre-schooler, a toddler, and an infant? Yeah...

I think I'll need a vacation after all this!

1 comment:

Wordgirl said...

Oh my goodness.

I'm exhausted just READING about this -- and you seem to take it all in stride -- wow.

I am truly in awe and hope the garage sale goes off without a hitch!

Lord do I have tons of things that clutter my life -- I am so in need of a garage sale but its complicated by the fact that G just won't do one -- and therefore its more of a donation-fest -- and it seems so much easier to have people come to YOU to take your stuff away.


I keep threatening W that if he doesn't put some of this junk away that I am going to put it in the garage as one step towards good will -- that hasn't worked yet.

I do enjoy the glimpse of your everyday life...and as I said -- a ten year old half time and a baby and I'm wiped out!

Thanks for all your kind and thoughtful posts. I take them to heart.