Daisypath Anniversary tickers

February 04, 2010

A Quick Note

OK, I totally didn't mean to get all preachy and on my soapbox with last night's post...just something I'm passionate about...

SO...thanks for coming back to read me again... :D

I'm stealing a moment which I should be using to be productive, but it's sort of quiet, and DG is actually cooperating by playing alone! WOO HOO!

I'm curious how you all feel about your kids' activities...you know, how do you choose what they should/can participate in? How do you determine, when they're only 6 or 7 and want to do everything, which things are the ones in which they really excel or have a gift in? How do you know that at the age of 8, they can decide that they can handle being in a sport, a music lesson, dance and swim class and still just be 8?

When do you as a parent get to step in and say, we're not doing that many things because I don't want to be dragging you all around town for hours each day just so you can be exhausted and I can't get anything done during the day, and our weekends are packed full????

I'm curious, because our neighbors have a 16 year old and a 13 1/2 year old that are scheduled to the hilt during the school year. The 16 year old had a breakdown the other night, in which, she sat sobbing at their kitchen table for HOURS because she had so much homework, was so tired, had to go to her ice skating session, and had just been asked to babysit on a Friday night. Her 13 1/2 year old brother is so used to having things planned and scheduled between baseball, hockey, and golf, that if he doesn't have something to do that is planned for him, he doesn't know what to do with himself.

I'm also curious, because a fellow blogger I read occasionally, is debating the wisdom of pulling their daughter (in 1st grade), out of ballet and putting her in piano instead. I just wonder, as I read about her agonizing over the decision, knowing that she herself focused on the Arts instead of Athletics, and she wonders if she made mistakes with her own choices.

BB and I always talk about our kids being able to do whatever they want...but at what point do you say "no, this is not good for you" and find something else?

No comments: