Daisypath Anniversary tickers

September 29, 2009

Should have taken pictures...

I am currently cooking down my first official batch of tomato sauce for the 2009 season...and it smells divine...

The splash-over is cleaned up from all but the stove-top, as its too hot to clean at the moment.

I'm now looking at my Blue Book so I can begin preparing all my jars and tools for making homemade organic peach preserves, and can some yummy peaches.

I know it seems weird, but I enjoy working my fanny off in my kitchen over meals, treats, and preserving...it makes it seem so much more worthwhile to have spent hours outside over the summer weeding, feeding, pruning, lovingly tending to my plants. Especially when it is the middle of winter, dreary and cold, and I can go to my freezer or pantry, and make something absolutely yummy like zucchini bread, or a peach cobbler, or we can have some strawberries over ice cream or shortcake, or some squash baked for supper...or some freeze-dried herbs that bring that hint of summer sunshine and warmth to my kitchen, plus make really good food that I know isn't loaded up with pesticides and hormones, just real, good old fashioned veggies...

And that's the same reason I make homemade bread...I actually figured it is cheaper for me to by 50 pounds of flour, the other necessary ingredients, and to make bread than it is for me to buy loaves from the store...I mean, really, why should it cost $3.50 for a loaf of "whole wheat" bread that has molasses and corn syrup, and not a whole lot of actual whole wheat?

At any rate...I'll take some shots of my canning and preserves tomorrow and Thursday as I make progress.

For now, be praying for my friend Inkling as she prepares for a very important, very significant presentation regarding her health situation and birth injury...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you! I didn't have a garden this year due to our move but I can't wait for next year! There is nothing better than gardening and then reaping the harvest.. It does feel so much better cooking with your own veggies.. And I too am a bread maker. My Mom gave me a bread machine but nothing beats homemade, kneaded bread and the bread machine just doesn't do it for me. I use that for pizza dough and sometimes quick breads if my ovens are all in use.
This weekend I'll be over to my sisters orchard for some apple picking and then I too will be canning as well.
Can't wait to see the pics and I will be praying for your friend as well.
Happy canning!

Inkling said...

I wish we were neighbors so we could do marathon canning sessions together. It would be so fun. This is the first year I will not be canning a thing, and it feels so weird. It will be good to get back to regular seasons next year (Lord willing!!!!!).

Have a great day, and I'll be thinking of you and praying for you as you recover from the crazy people who tried to throw various wrenches in your day in the post above this one.

Much love.