Daisypath Anniversary tickers

June 11, 2009

Scum of the Shower

Yes, I know...so appealing that title, right?

Well...let me tell you my latest woe...and, again, yes, I know...how is this a woe??? It is to me...so there! :D


OK - we have a lovely 5-piece Master Bathroom, that, quite frankly, spoiled me rotten when we first moved to the house. We have an oversized soaking tub that is deep enough that I can actually fit all of me at one time, without having to lay like a board, or twisted up on my side. And, as I love me a good long soak in a steamy tub, this is a pretty big deal. Not an issue...it is very easy to clean, as it has a nifty and convenient ledge/shelf thingy surrounding it. I can sit on the ledge, and clean the sides of the tub, and only have to lean in to scrub the bottom. Since I only get to soak once in a blue moon these days...it gets a good rinse every week or so to rid it of the accumulation of dust and pet hair. We have 2 sinks, each with their own cabinet for storage underneath, a wall-mounted cabinet which houses things like our aspirin, cough syrup and the like. In between is a bank of drawers for more storage. Also easy to clean, and done at least once a week, depending upon our health and the relative grossness of BB's morning routine. We have a water closet, again, easy to clean, the mat in front of the toilet gets washed weekly, the floor gets swept and scrubbed at least once a week...sometimes more if the odor is particularly strong. And then, we have the current bane of my existence...the shower...

It is not a large shower, as showers go...about 3 feet by 4 feet, with 1 1/2 sides being glass, the other tiled over sheetrock. No big deal right? Well...the fact that the first homeowners were fanatical about cleanliness...so much so that the family from which we purchased the home said they felt as though they'd purchased a brand new home, not a 3-year-old home...but the family from which we bought were not so domestically inclined...as in, they tried to tell us that the water spots on the garage ceiling were from "hosing the floor off", but they are now 10 times worse and BB and I have never once washed the floor...but I digress...there were stains on the carpet, stains on the sinks, toilets, tubs, tiles, floors, walls, doors...things that weren't really stains to begin with...but things that didn't get cleaned up right away, or enough, or properly...and so, for the first 3 years we were in the home, I would go from room to room, scrubbing, rubbing, polishing, patching, painting, repairing, shining...but that shower...I have shined and rubbed the brass parts...I have tried every solution known to mankind for removing soap scum from glass short of sandblasting it or just flat out buying new doors and window glass...I've tried chemicals, I've tried steam, I've tried natural solutions...I even took a plastic scraper to it one day, thinking I could just muscle it off...post-shower spray products don't work, elbow grease along with hours of work...nothing.

And so... I ask you, my readers to help me out! What can I try that I haven't already tried?!?!?!?!?! I'm sick of my shower glass looking hazy and feeling scummy if you brush against it during your shower...HELP!?!?!?!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! Hope you don't mind, but I tagged you over at my place.Not as imaginative as Farm Wife but hope you'll come by!! S