Daisypath Anniversary tickers

June 10, 2009

Afternoon Tea...Come and Enjoy a Cup

Hello, and please, come in, sit down, enjoy a cup of tea with me!

FarmWife, over at Memoirs of a Farmwife is hostessing her 4th annual Tea Party, and has invited me to come along and enjoy...

She has also asked several thought-provoking questions to keep conversation flowing, as a good hostess should...read along, pop over to visit my darling FarmWife, and sit and sip a bit...

#1. Please introduce yourself & tell us how you came to be a visitor of A Suburban Princess Speaks (or Memoirs, if you'd like). I am Kork, the Suburban Princess, and I live here. I've known FarmWife for 15 years now...hard to believe that one. I met FarmWife in College my freshman year, and have been buddies with her ever since, regardless of geographic location and life situations...we've weathered many storms through letters and phone calls, and I hope that we will both get to the "where's my walker?" stage to which she refers and still be friends.

#2. What book is currently on your bedside table (or coffee table) and are you really reading it?
Well...let's see...on the bedside table are my Bible, my Love Dare book, as well as "Mindless Eating", "Intuitive Eating", and a stack of Karen Kingsbury novels fresh from the public library...Last night there was "Celebrate Home"...On the coffee table (actually a "sofa table" under my windows in the family room) are the most current copies of Fitness and Shape magazines, Captain Chaos' "Hatful of Seuess", and Tiny Princess' copy of "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom". After naptime, there will be a larger stack of other children's favorites, including but not limited to the aforementioned titles...we're readers in this house, in case you didn't already know that...

#3. Is there anything you would like to accomplish this summer?
Losing 20 pounds, a successful garden, weekly bike rides to the library and parks with the kiddos to do picnics, reading adventures, and play in the water (we have the coolest park ever for that about a 10 minute ride from the house!). As of today, I think we're on track for all of the above! OH! And the biggest part of the plan for this summer? POTTY TRAIN THE BOY!!!!!


#4. Did you take any lessons as a child? What kind & did you retain anything you learned?
Well...starting at the tender age of 5, I did gymnastics. Followed by ballet, tap and jazz lessons. By the age of 7 I had moved into the glorious world of piano lessons, which lasted until about 8 months after BB and I were married...due to financial constraints and not wanting to have to practice in front of my new husband...I took voice starting my sophomore year of high school, and continued until our 2nd anniversary. I still remember my ball-change, my 1st through 5 positions in all their variations, ronde-de-jambes, plies, pirouettes, roundoffs, cartwheels, backbends, how hideously afraid of the bars I am, all my chords, theory, and all the things that go along with piano playing, as well as knowing how to sustain a High B-flat for up to 75 seconds without faltering...someday, I pray that all the money my parents spent on those lessons will come to some good!

When I was in college, I took Scuba Diving and got my certification. I learned how to crochet from my Nana, knit and embroider from my mother, as well as cook, clean, and how to make a bed so tightly you can bounce a quarter off it - no joke folks, my Mama really DID wear Army Boots! OK, she was in the Women's Army Nurse Corp, but still...she can drill in July heat and humidity in Army Issue Dress Whites with the best of them!

#5. If someone had told you 10 years ago what you'd be doing now, would you have believed them?

Not a chance...I would never have imagined myself staying at home with 2 small children, content to read Dr Seuess, Disney classics, and Egermeier's Bible Story Book over and over and over and over again, or be singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", "Jesus Loves Me" and many, many others a million times a day...let alone be saying things like "Don't sit on your sister's head...its not nice", or all but begging a 3-year-old to sit on the potty and pee in it, rather than his training pants...OY! But! I wouldn't change it for the world!


#6. What are you making for dinner tonight?

As tonight is one of BB's late nights at the office, we'll be having some grilled chicken, salad, and rice. I keep it simple...lots of fast side dishes, healthy things like vegetables...and I'm so thankful that BB is almost over his "we must have potatoes or rice is we're having bread of some kind" attitude that his mother instilled in him all through his life and is still practicing today even though her doctor has told her repeatedly that she MUST lose weight...

Well, I do hope you'll stay and tell me about yourself...do enjoy another cup!

No comments: