Daisypath Anniversary tickers

March 26, 2009

Is it Winter, or Is It Spring?

Well...our region is apparently a bit confused...you see, last week, it was glorious...70 degree days, a few 50s and 60s...but the sun was shining, the sky was the incredible springy blue that it gets only on the Front Range...the grass was starting to have some deliciously green blades poking through the hideous brown crunch...my iris and daffodils and tulips are sending up green blades, the trees had buds...one of my rose bushes was even showing green on the canes...

And then...we began to hear "a chance of rain" or "a slight chance of snow, but don't expect it to stick around"...until this last weekend...then it was "snow is in the forecast...it will happen, be ready".

I scoffed. Let's face it...when you've lived here for your whole life (minus a year), you know that when they say "snow" or "rain" in the weather report, you don't hold your breath. Sure, you take your umbrella, plan on taking a jacket or layering your clothes to be on the safe side, knowing that you may well be carrying around your parka and your sweatshirt before you head home at the end of the day...

SO, when I awoke this morning to the winter wonderland that had yet to turn to the Blizzard of 2009, I was pleasantly surprised!

I can count on one hand the number of snow days we had when I was in school...of course, I can remember when we had only holidays, and 1 - 3 days beyond for conferences off during the school year too, so what does that prove?

Imagine my surprise, when we were listed as CLOSED, not delayed, not missing from the list, but actually closed! Our neighbor girl was a bit distraught because she would be missing her Spanish test. I think it was the fact that it was 6:30 in the morning when she was informed that she didn't have to get up, and was still sort of half asleep...but still...amusing to me...hee hee...

At any rate...the deepest drift on my deck right now, due to the crazily swirling winds is approximately 26 inches deep. Now, hear me people, we did not receive 26 inches of snow...that's just how it happened to pile up...

I fear for the tender shoots and buds, and pray that we don't lose any tree branches, or have damage to my fruit trees...thankfully it was early enough in the season that there were no blossoms...

And!!!! It is a very, very wet snow...I know. I ventured outside to clean off the satellite dish to allow us the ability to watch TV this evening...live TV that is. I put on my boots, a wool sweater, and grabbed my broom, and plunged off the deck into the drifts that were almost to my knees in most places, and above in others...and jumped and hopped so as not to get stuck in my own backyard, in the swirling snow (gently by this time), and reached my broom as high as I could, stood on tiptoes and brushed and scrubbed the snow, so we could get a signal...by the time I came back in 5 minutes later, my hair was WET...dripping...as in I went upstairs and toweled off after I stripped out of my sopping wet jeans and socks (stupid snow boots that only come up to my ankles), and put my sweats back on.

The benefit to no signal all day? We finally got to watch Tin Man in its entirety! We only recorded it before the New Year...YIKES!

It was good. Tomorrow, I plan to watch other TV miniseries/movie events that we've had stored on our DVR for months...before it poops out again, and the new one arrives...then we'll catch up on 2 weeks worth of crime dramas and suspense shows...

I made chocolate cupcakes yesterday that BB doesn't know are healthy...tomorrow, I'm making healthy cookies, that he won't know are healthy...

Still...I wish it was sunny and 70 again so I could plant my garden!

No comments: