Daisypath Anniversary tickers

February 28, 2008

I Am a Glutton for Punishment...

Well, the local school district, for some unknown reason, decided that since the quarter ends today, the kids need a day off...whatever happened to teachers working after classes until like 5pm to grade papers, prepare final parts of lesson plans and turning in grades?!?!?!?!? I mean, seriously...if a stay-at-home mom can get 5 loads of laundry done, sweep, mop, vacuum her floors, scrub the bathrooms, dust, iron, cook dinner, make 87 Lego towers, 3 forts out of blankets, read 900 million books (or one book 900 million times), kiss boo-boos, AND still look somewhat human for her man, why can a full-time teacher who gets an actual monetary paycheck NOT get things done in a 40-hour work-week? Did teachers suddenly get more stupid? (sorry for any teachers out there, I know you're not stupid...)

But I digress...this day off usually makes the students happy (as I well remember the oh-so-rare school day off for a non-holiday made me), but the parents not so happy. There's the whole need to arrange day-care if you DON'T work in a non-teaching position at the school (the janitors, secretaries, nurses, cafeteria staff all have these days off). Our neighbor is one such employee, and has tomorrow off. HOWEVER...she has 2 tweens, and a husband that works from home. Both kids are overinvolved in extra-curricular activities, and to my recollection of the way I was brought up SPOILED ROTTEN. For instance, the 14-year-old daughter does not know how to do laundry, not even fold a shirt, or change her sheets. She cannot cook, and is, in fact, afraid of the kitchen...the son is so loaded up with sports that he has no time to himself, but loves to be busy, and likes order, not chaos. Both kids HATE doing things at home to help their parents, but will come and help BB and I at the flutter of an eyelash!

Knowing this to be the case, and knowing that Mr and Mrs will be needing to do a ton of things and not be interrupted every 5 seconds by "I'm bored!", I told Mrs yesterday to send the kids over in the afternoon, and I could use their help...while this is true, I'm not so sure that after a week of no more than 5 hours of sleep each night I can handle the 2 of them telling each other how to do what I just told them to do (Really, how many ways are there to carry a box from one side of the room to the other, or to carry a trash bag upstairs and put it in my garbage can?), and the 11-year old son telling his sister to suck it up and do the work...

To quote Inkling, "Oy!" and that, my friends, is all on that subject for today...I'll let you know how it goes AFTER I sleep tomorrow night...

No comments: