Daisypath Anniversary tickers

September 23, 2013

Rhythm

In the midst of the chaos of moving from Rescue/Recovery to Rebuilding, it's been difficult to feel normal and sane.  Phones are constantly ringing, the news coverage is photo after photo of flooded areas and the damage that's been counted thus far.

BB spent Saturday and Sunday helping to remove damaged carpet, sheetrock, sub-flooring and belongings from a home that was flooded.  Our Church served as the disbursment location for over 300 volunteers into our town to start helping people...

I spent the day at home and was thrilled to be allowed to just BE in my kitchen...I did a bazillion loads of laundry, put up peaches, put up tomatoes, made bread, scrubbed, dusted, vacuumed, swept, polished, aired...

As a result, Sunday was a relaxed day for me.  After being at work for 7 hours, I picked up my kids from my folks and we came home.  They had naps, I ate lunch and finished up a little laundry...then we had dinner and BB and the kids crashed at 7:30 so I watched football and relaxed...

Today I was able to leisurely get ready for my day and tidy the kitchen and do some housework.  Littlest One and I were ready to do our errands at 7:15 this morning (Yes, I know what that means...).  We puttered around the house a bit and did our shopping before picking up Princess from school.  We came home, I put away my purchases, we had lunch, and now we're off to do a couple other quick things before we pick up Capt from school.  We've got homework, swimming lessons, dinner and then a little free time before bed...

I didn't realize until things were out of sync how much I thrive in my rhythm of life around here...I have a set pattern...a routine...and when I'm out of that rhythm I get all cranky and stressed out...

It's funny how you don't realize you're in a rhythm until it gets disrupted.

I have learned there are so many things that I take for granted in my life.  One of many things coming out of this flood is my gratitude levels being through the roof...just the idea of being able to turn on the faucet for running water and not think about whether or not the water up the river, behind the dam, is silty and icky or not...knowing when I turn on a light switch, it will come on...that all the many, many, many (far too many) things we have are unscathed, were never in danger, and that we were, in a moment, able to donate a truck full of things for those displaced...

I get all teary-eyed and goosebumps when I think of all the amazing things God is able to be doing right now...and I'm able to be a part of it...


No comments: