Daisypath Anniversary tickers

August 04, 2013

New Day, New Week, New Adventures

Well, it's officially official...I begin an actual, out-of-the-house-with-a-guaranteed-paycheck job Tuesday.

I'm a bit nervous, a bit giddy, a bit overwhelmed...

Our Church (which is physically, a LARGE building) has on its property a Bookstore with a Fivebucks "affiliate".  They sell Bibles, devotionals, fiction, CDs (yes, you can still buy those!), a cute little things you never knew you needed like cast resin figurines based on hand-carved work, or some really cool items that benefit groups in Africa and Asia to help people stay out of the sex trade and/or feed their villages...

I asked, once, about halfway through my pregnancy with Captain, about working there, thinking that I'd get a once a week gig to give me a break from motherhood, and a little cash to play with...there weren't any openings.  And then when there was an opening, it wasn't right for our family...

About this time last year, our "Small Groups Minister" (the guy in charge of making sure people get connected with one another in Bible Study or Sunday School ways) was hired as the Senior Pastor (the guy who preaches every Sunday along with a bajillion other things) at the Church in which I grew up.  This caused some shuffling of internal staff, and some folks left their office jobs for many reasons.  Also at that time, a friend of mine who worked in the bookstore said her husband was looking for his dream job and that they'd be going wherever it took him.  After a lengthy process, he was selected for the position.  And they had to move and he started on August 1.  Which left an opening in the bookstore.  Also, the other lady that works there was asked to come be Senior Pastor's assistant at my old Church.  She accepted and was officially hired this week.

I got a call about 2 weeks ago asking if I was still interested and what my availability would be if I was.  I filled out the forms, had the interview, and then waited.

Until Friday at 4:45 when they called and said I was in.

It's not a huge committment, really...Tuesday & Thursday from about 8:15 until 6:15 and Sundays from 7 until 1:15ish...the store is actually open Mon - Fri from 9-6 and Sat from 2-7 and Sun from 7-1.  This gives people a chance to have coffee during services (I know...not for everyone) as well as have the chance to pick up Bible Study materials, gifts and other things during the weekday events/office hours.

Its not huge, but at the same time, it's monumental...I will be putting Princess and Littlest One at the Church daycare on those afternoons, something I never wanted to do as a parent...and BB will be with the kids alone on Sunday mornings.  Something I know in my head he's entirely able and willing to do, but in my heart, I'm having a hard time knowing I'll be missing out on 6 hours of family time each week for at least the next year...

You see, this job is so I can help pay back the debt I racked up a lot faster than if we just relied on BB's salary and hoped for bonuses, raises and good prices to sell stock options...

What I'm hoping, is that next school year (yes, 12 months from now), the debt will be gone, I can work 3 days a week, and BB will hand out some of that cash to me for my own discretionary spending - so I can grab a coffee with a girlfriend without having his permission to spend money that's not in an envelope, so I can buy little gifts for he and the kids just because, so I can snag that super-cute top when they have it in my size and not have to stop and wonder if BB needs shoes more than I need a shirt...

I'm also hoping that being out of the house 2 full days each week, will help me become more efficient in my at-home days.  I've become a very "I'll get around to it when I get around to it" sort of person over the last 2 years and I do NOT like it one bit...It's as though I know I've got ALL DAY EVERY DAY and so I take all day every day to do 3 loads of laundry and mop my floors...

And so, I begin training Tuesday morning...and I'm super nervous that I'm not going to be ready...as though if I don't have this long list of things done before I go to bed Monday night, it will never get done...

I know that isn't true, but please be praying for me to get the necessary and important things cared for today and tomorrow...

1 comment:

Inkling said...

That sounds like it could be a fun job. I loved my time in our church's bookstore as a volunteer on Sundays. Our church was a place for the "overchurched and underchurched", so the conversations that took place in the bookstore and the questions we'd get asked were pretty fun.

I get the whole "oh my goodness, I have a specific schedule now" thing. Last night I was kind of panicking thinking about how if we do decide to put Grasshopper in preschool two afternoons a week that means that three days a week we'll have some place to be, since another day is BSF for both of us. Neither one of us likes to be too scheduled, and I find myself crashing on Mondays just to get over the whole Sunday church event thing. My energy levels are not super high at the moment, so having three definite commitments in one week that would require me to get out of my house kind of does freak me out. My hermit mode has gotten a little too out of hand, I'm thinking.