Daisypath Anniversary tickers

July 31, 2012

Proud of Who I Am

Recently, there have been an awful lot of things slung across the fences of politics, religion, sports...well, anything really.  You name it, and it seems as though people can't have a simple conversation about their viewpoints.  Everyone gets all worked up because someone else doesn't think/believe the same way.

I had written this post earlier, and decided not to publish it, but after reading Ordinary Sarah's post today, I decided I should go ahead and post it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and in fact, would be disappointed in myself if those I called friends had exactly the same viewpoint as I do on thing in life.

Who I am is based largely on how I was raised.  My parents taught my siblings and I to be kind, compassionate, courteous, respectful, loving, generous, smart, and wise.  (and yes, "smart" and "wise" are 2 different things in my world)  We were never taught to look at someone's appearance and judge them, but taught to get to know people, learn about them, where they are from, what brought them to where they are now...it didn't matter what you looked like outside, I was taught that the true measure of a person was their heart.

I was raised in a non-denominational Christian Church.  That's fancy talk for a Church that doesn't follow the rituals of Catholicism, Lutheranism, Baptist-ism (Is that a word??), or any other "Church" type out there.  I was raised in a Church that teaches Jesus as the Son of God, God in flesh, that died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and 3 days later raised from the dead.  I believe the Bible is the Word of God, given to man, by God, through men who were divinely appointed.  I believe that what it says is what it means.

I am not perfect, in fact, I often make such huge mistakes and blunders I wonder how anyone would want to be around me at all.  I'm loud and obnoxious, speak before I think far too often, get offended and defensive, have lied many times...I've even been married and divorced.

I will say, however, that I do everything I can to choose to be kind, compassionate, caring, courteous, respectful, generous, loving, smart and wise.  I know I can't do it on my own - I need God's help, and ask for it many, many times each day...

I do know, that if I don't agree with what you believe, I will still love you and be your friend if that's what you desire also.

I'm proud of who I am - because I know I'm who I am due to my family, my friends, and most of all, my God.

1 comment:

Penny said...

and I agree with all you said!! LOL