March 04, 2012

Focus

I'm having trouble today focusing on a long list of things I really want to accomplish this week. I know, I know...where's my me-time, what am I doing that's just for me?

Well, let me tell you - this list is my me-stuff! I walked into my basement storage room, which is currently in upheaval because BB is in process of doing wiring for our first phase of Basement Finishing Project. Because he's currently working in a space that's about 20% of our total square footage of basement, all the normal contents of that area are currently crammed into the remaining 80% of basement. About 25% of our basement is going to remain an unfinished storage room wherein we store all the junk that you can't let go of, such as the ratty old beach towel you had when you were 12, or the 3 boxes full of 3-ring binders that house your college projects and class notes, or a cardboard box of dolls your kids aren't quite old enough for, but you just know they're going to love - nevermind the 500 sq ft of playroom they currently have that houses bins, boxes, buckets, shelves and baskets of toys, of which, they only play with about 1/3 of... Oh! And the plastic tubs of Christmas decorations, seasonal table linens and silk flowers, and a few shelves of dry and canned goods...

I'm embarrassed to admit that our storage room is currently housing such items. And I'm sick of it! I'm tired of cardboard boxes of every single bill and statement we've received since becoming adults. I'm tired of having boxes of BB's college papers - it's been 15 years since he graduated this May, do we really need binders full of coursework and notes from that long ago? Oh, and there are the tubs of clothing that Princess has outgrown, into which Littlest One will grow soon enough. And the bed pillows, blankets, canning supplies and the like...

Right now, I should be downstairs reorganizing some things, tidying up a work space in which I'll set up a table, my trash and recycling bins, my donate/sell bins, and my shred box. I'll systematically go through everything that is in each box and bin, and ruthlessly purge things. Once that's done, the rest of the things will be repackaged into Rubbermaid storage bins (maybe not Rubbermaid brand, but nice plastic tubs that seal things out, but keep things all the same size on the shelf. Yes, I'm that person...

Needless to say, I have far too many things to do to be sitting here on my husband's recliner...

No comments: