Daisypath Anniversary tickers

May 12, 2011

Reminders

Today, as I awoke to what felt like interminable rain pounding on our roof, I was initially a bit offended by the weather...as I stated yesterday, I'm really antsy to get out and get more things done in my yard and gardens...then my twisted sense of humor kicked in and I was thinking that if I began noticing animals migrating in pairs that I'd be following them posthaste!

And then it hit me...what an amazing promise we have from God...

For those of you that don't know or don't remember...after Noah built the ark and loaded up his family and all the animals and provisions (I care not to think of logistics of waste and odors...), and it rained for 40 days and 40 nights, and Noah and his floating world were safely delivered to the slopes of Mt Ararat, God made a promise to Noah and his family that He would never again destroy the earth with a flood. And that promise was sealed with the beauty of the rainbow across the sky!

As I watched the news and saw the devastation of the areas that are being flooded by the rain and rising waters, and I mourn with those who are affected, I am comforted to know that this is NOTHING...

I know that it feels like it's been weeks and weeks and weeks of rain, but I got to thinking about 40 days and 40 nights...that is 6 weeks of non-stop rain...and to flood the entire earth, that would have to be the really crazy heavy "raining cats and dogs" sort of rain fall - sheets of rain, pelting, pounding the earth, filling the gullies, cracks, rivers, streams, ponds, lakes until they all overflowed and began getting deeper and deeper...

And as I sit here after only 1 full day of rain, on and off, varying degrees of strength of storm, and am already feeling trapped and stranded...I'm reminded of how fortunate we are to live in a world where we can hold to the promise that God will always keep us in His arms...that He will keep us afloat and be there with us...

It's pretty powerful...

No comments: