Daisypath Anniversary tickers

March 10, 2011

Un-Complications

Today at Moms' Group, we had a speaker talking about how to bring simplicity to our parenting.

It was interesting. It was not earth-shattering...in fact, it was things I think I already do...

She talked about putting away the books and not Googling every little thing we come across and to just do things the way we feel they should be done. She talked about how it's more important sometimes, to keep our mouths closed, to not say things that we might want to say to our children. No mater how old they are...

She talked about remembering that it's just as easy to put aside the laundry or vacuuming and play with play-doh or Legos, or color, or go outside with our kids...because we can fold socks after our babies are in bed...

And then I started thinking about all the things I've been letting get in the way lately...how I've been putting this crazy pressure on myself that my house has to look like a spread from Better Homes...and that I need to do all sorts of chores instead of reading with/to, or playing with, or loving on, or tickling, or walking or kicking a ball or just being with my kids.

I had that gut-wrenching moment of "where did the time go?" when I dropped off the official registration paperwork for Captain Chaos and his Kindergarten year...I mean, it just does not seem possible that my little chubby boy is ready to start real school...you know, the kind where he goes, and it's the beginning of the end of his letting me hug and kiss him, and tell him out loud that I love him in public places. ..and yes, there are 2 more following along, but really...how long until they're tossing their hair out of their faces, over their shoulders, rolling their eyes at me and giving me that "Mooo-om" that only a teen-aged girl can give?

I don't want to wake up one morning with an empty house and wonder who my children are...I want to know them, help shape them, love them, and make sure that they know without a doubt that I love them unconditionally...and that they can count on me.

I don't have to be a superhero with the cleanest house, or the mom that does everything in their classrooms, but I want to be the Mom that's there no matter what...no matter what event, what time, what circumstances...

And so, I'm faced today with the dilemma of finding a new balance of getting the things that are truly necessary (laundry, cooking, and the crucial cleaning like food prep surfaces and bathrooms) with the things that are truly important (like reading and snuggling and playing)...

I do know that I'm incredibly grateful that I don't also have to balance a career outside my home with this!

No comments: