When we picked up the kids, Mom stated that Captain had been coughing pretty bad, and seemed a bit hot to the touch. I chalked it up to the excitement of our crazy week last week, and gave him a half-dose of Motrin, just in case...Sunday came and he was still coughing and the tiniest bit congested...no fever, ate, played, seemed fine.
Monday dawned and the kids both slept until 9. My folks arrived at 9:30 to deliver a dresser they purchased for us for the nursery, and Mom stuck around to assist with the final touches in DG's room and the nursery. She did all the work while I told her what to do, including scrubbing the kids' bathroom from top to bottom, cleaning the kids' rooms, and was even on her hands and knees cleaning baseboard moldings and removing the things that collect at the edge of your carpet...
Capt was pretty miserable, running a fever, coughing like a crazy person...so I made the executive decision Monday night to NOT take him to school Tuesday, and instead scheduled both kids and myself for a doctor's appointment to lick this ick once and for all.
Much to my dismay, my doctor said "prescription. Take it." Even worse, the kids' doctor listened to both kids' lungs, deemed DG a viral case, just a nasty cold, treat the symptoms as needed. However, Captain, he hemmed and hawed over, and then looked at me and said "chest x-rays, go now, come right back." My heart stopped because the ONLY time I've ever had a chest x-ray was to verify that I had pneumonia and it was NOT a pretty thing to go through. And I was 23 at the time.
So, we headed over to the Radiology department, got right in, and by the time we walked back to the exam room, the digital images had been sent over, and the doctor had actually already read them. Thankfully, no signs of either pneumonia or bronchitis. HOWEVER...we were told "viral bronchial-itis". They used the pulse-Ox machine to check his O2 levels, and were sort of ok with his reading 91%. We were told he had the start of an ear infection, and to get his prescription filled and then come back the next day to check his levels again.
We got the medications, got home, after much ado, and had some lunch. I put the kids down for naps, tried to be productive and do things around the house, but ended up falling asleep on the couch for 2 hours.
My mom came over yesterday to help me get the rest of the house in order and clean, and I took Captain back to the doctor. His levels hadn't improved or gotten worse, but the doctor said "RSV"...my heart stopped again...isn't that what sends little kids to the hospital for breathing treatments and long spells of quarantine???
Thankfully, God had His hands on us again, and we were told that his levels were fine, there was no need for hospitalization or breathing treatments. In fact, we were told that yesterday was the worst he would get, and to just keep pushing fluids, dosing him with Motrin, his prescription for the ear infection, and that we could give him some cough syrup to help him sleep at night.
He didn't eat very much Tuesday, and nothing at all yesterday.
This morning, he awoke with a spiked fever, so I immediately gave him a dose of Motrin, his prescription, and he just sort of hung out on the couch, curled up under a blanket, watching Playhouse Disney. Around 9:45 he wandered into the kitchen and asked for oatmeal.
I am thrilled that he ate a good sized bowl of oatmeal, and has had around 30 ounces of water and apple juice. He was playing with his Legos, and seems to be feeling a bit more normal today.
I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be on the mend by Monday.
I am, however, worried about DG as her cough got really ugly this morning...I'm prayerful that dosing her with Motrin and some cough syrup at nap and bed times will keep her from getting as sick as her brother.