Daisypath Anniversary tickers

November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Thoughts

After reading several chapters again in Stephen Covey's 7 Habits, I've been struck hard by some changes that need to occur in me.

I won't go into detail here, because I truly need to work on this within myself, with God's help...

In addition to this spiritual whack to the side of my a la Leroy Jethro Gibbs, I just finished watching Rachael Ray's Thanksgiving episode, which left me reduced to tears...

Let me explain that I am in no way shocked at the extent of the need and hurting in our own United States, let alone the world. I was just thinking about the final scene of voice over and images from this particular community where the unemployment rate is currently 50%. That is 1 person in every house that is out of a job...and hearing Morgan Freeman's voice asking me what I'll be doing as I gather with my own family tomorrow, to celebrate a day of Thanks-giving...

It just sort of hit me...I have so much for which to be thankful. I know that at this time of year, we all seem to focus on that, and then, as the holidays pass, and we get back into our routines of school, sports, Church, and household type things, we forget those things...they get glossed over in our minds, as we watch our families and friends play with and show off their gifts, use their new toys, play their games, wear their new clothing...we pack away the lights and wreaths, trees, and garlands...and with that, we pack away our desire to serve, to give, to share and to love.

This year, I'll be focusing on all the things I can be thankful for, and insuring that my household is thankful every day, and is giving every day.

I want my children to be aware that there are those who don't have what we do, and that there are ways that we can share what we have with those people. More importantly, I want them to know that those people need food, clothing and shelter every day, not just between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.

It will be a challenge, but I already have a list in my head of things that will be done over the coming year, and how, in the months ahead, we can show our children that Jesus isn't just in our hearts, but in our hands and feet as well as we share and give.

No comments: