Daisypath Anniversary tickers

March 23, 2009

What a Weekend!

Well...let's see...after a sort of lousy Thursday and Friday, what with the news from the doctor, and the reaction to the medications...we had a fairly nice Saturday.

BB took our neighbors' son to his hockey game, as the older sister was at her Confirmation. Not being Catholic, I only know this was important, and we were sort of a bit shocked that her brother played hockey instead of being there...but, not our family, not our decision.

After he got home, he fixed and prepped our mower for the upcoming season. We ran our hose as far out as it would go and watered about 2/3 of the 1/3 acre upon which we live. I did laundry, cleaned up a bit of garden, made multiple trips to the bathroom for myself, and Captain Chaos, who apparently made the decision that he didn't want to be wet, and so, he just held it in until he was crying from the discomfort. He was in a disposable training pant for nap and bedtime Saturday, yesterday, and so far today...and he's not happy about being relegated to a mat, or his vinyl covered beanbag...but I'm sorry, I'm just not going to tote out the upholstery and carpet cleaner because he is still not recognizing the urge to go, and instead ends up going on himself...

Tiny Princess is still not walking on her own, which is a double-edged sword...I won't go into the details, because those of you with children know what I mean.

Saturday night, we hung out, watched some TV...just sort of chilled.

Sunday...ahhhh...now that was the day!

I awoke early, scrubbed and cut up some potatoes, put them into my crock-pot along with a roast, carrots, and the "stuff" I use to make gravy. It was cooking away and steaming up the inside before 7 am. I then cleaned my kitchen, family room, dining room, and powder room. I folded 2 loads of laundry, and headed upstairs to put away that which I could without waking up children or BB.

The kids were up, bathed, dressed, and fed (although not in that order) by 8:30. BB didn't wake up til 9.

My folks showed up at 11, we ate a wonderful pot roast, carrots, potatoes, and salad.

Then...at noon, BB and I headed out the door, all dressed up...and....(drum roll please!) went to our local Performing Arts Complex and watched the next-to-the-last performance of the National Tour of "The Phantom of the Opera".

It was stellar...I hadn't seen it in a longer time than our neighbors' daughter that was Confirmed has been alive. While that makes me feel old, and sort of sad...that was totally eclipsed by the awesome experience of sitting in a theater, dressed up, no children fidgeting or talking for which I was responsible...

We had Orchestra seats...right in the center, about 15 rows back from the stage. You could smell the smoke from the gun shots, feel the heat from the pyrotechnics...and feel the Phantom's breath...at least, it felt that way...

It was, without boring you to death, one of the best memories of my marriage. Now, before you go all crazy on me, let me explain...BB is not what you would refer to as a "metro man"...he would rather be watching football, baseball, the race, golf, or out working with his hands somewhere, getting dirty. His idea of "a show" is generally more along the lines of community theater, where the actors and actresses come out and mingle at intermission and after the conclusion of the show. He's never been to a large-scale production like that.

He always tries to provide things and events for me that are more to my tastes than his, but he's never explored the option of a huge deal like prior to this year...

We have had many wonderful experiences during our marriage, including the births of our children and several other exciting things that I won't detail here because they are personal.

We left the kids with my folks, and had 7 hours to ourselves! We enjoyed a leisurely cup of coffee prior to the show, wandered around downtown, enjoyed the show immensely, and then, we came back to our town, and enjoyed a leisurely dinner that included grown-up conversation only, not interjected with "eat your dinner, please", or "don't put your crayons in your nose", and were able to have appetizers, our entrees, and dessert.

I was so energized when we came home! The kids had a blast with my parents, and were shrieking with laughter, rolling on the floor, climbing on the beanbag, climbing on Poppa, hugging Grammy...

Tiny Princess went to sleep about 7:30. Captain Chaos got to stay up and read with Daddy until 8:30, and they both slept until 9 this morning!

All I know is that I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of summertime, or at the very least, weather that is a bit warmer, to allow Capt and the Princess to play outside, where they can run, play on their bikes, slide, climb on the boulders in our yard, chase the dog, and the like...

I am also looking forward to nicer weather so I can pull down the bike trailer, and get out and ride!

I'm SO ready for summer, and am so thankful, that as I was cleaning and doing an inventory on the freezer I found several quarts of peaches from our harvest...and zucchini, and squash...

I'm going to make zucchini bread, carrot cake (with squash, but shhh! don't tell anyone!), and we can have peach sorbet for dessert, or a peach crisp...or a peach cake...or just eat the peaches...mmmmmmm....

I'm already planning ahead for this weekend, so we can get our gardens going with cool-weather crops like lettuce, beans, and peas!

I can hardly wait for fresh veggies that I worked hard to grow, and am already longing for the baking heat of the summer sun as I work to weed and feed my gardens...

No comments: