Daisypath Anniversary tickers

September 28, 2010

Happenings at the Palace

Recently, we've been pretty busy around here...and somehow, even as a Princess, I'm still the one doing the dirty work...

We are overcoming an auction-addiction at our home - BB is addicted to buying things through auctions - he can get great deals and fix things up and sell them for even more money...alas, this reasoning hasn't worked very well to date, and I think I'm helping him to understand that not everything has to be sold for money - that we can donate items to those in need!

Anyway...an item that was purchased last summer was a set of layout tables from a printing company that had gone out of business. We purchased these tables for less than $10 total. When BB went to retrieve them, we discovered why no one else wanted them. They were constructed of 2 sheets of MDF, one sheet of hard-board, some 2 x 4s, and some 4 x 4s. They were 4 feet by 8 feet and stood 37 inches tall. They weighed about 200 pounds. Each. They were painted this hideous red. I was excited at the time, because I had a vision in my head of one going into BB's workshop, and the other going into our basement for me to use as a cutting table for fabric for things I'd sew, or to layout scrapbook pages, or to do some painting and other crafting...sort of an all-purpose work table for me. When we got them home, BB discovered that they'd been constructed around the 4 x 4 post frame and couldn't be taken apart and moved downstairs without lots of work involved, and they simply wouldn't fit down the stairs, nor could we get them in through any of the windows. As a result, they went to live in BB's workshop, taking up lots of room, making him miserable, and therefore making me miserable. They collected lots of sawdust, tools, half-finished projects and created much chaos...SO, over the last week, BB took a photo of them, and posted an online ad. They sold the first day that they were posted.

I got a call from BB on Wednesday afternoon, telling me that someone was coming that night to pick them up and that "we" needed to clean out the shop to get them moved.

The irony is that he didn't get home from work until almost 6pm that night. I moved all the things off the tables, and cleaned them off. I moved all the things out of the garage that had collected with BB's attitude of "I'll get to it later" to their appropriate homes (most of which ended up in the trash or recycling bins). I swept the garage, I cleaned up the shop as best as I could. However...Captain Chaos' bed that BB started last fall? Was waiting on a set of sawhorses to be moved up to Captain's bedroom. In the middle of the only walkway left in his shop. Our neighbor came over and helped move it into Captain's room, which I'd had to clean up after his nap. It ended up being a frightfully chaotic night.

And then, after it was all said and done, BB said "OH! Co-worker A can't be here til tomorrow, and Co-worker B can't come until Saturday."

Then Co-worker A called and said Friday would be better...so I had spent valuable time cleaning things up and off and out and putting things away that I didn't leave laying around only to find out that I could have had assistance.

I was a bit miffed.

On Saturday, rather than get up and get right to re-organizing and cleaning the rest of the shop, BB took the kids to a Big Box Home Improvement Store to build a project. They were gone for 3 hours to the BBHIS and then to the Bulls-Eye Store. I was left at home with Littlest One, during which time I did 3 loads of laundry and cleaned the upstairs. That afternoon, I spent all my free time in BB's shop helping him unload cabinets and drawers so he could "see what [he had] and get it all organized, rather than just putting it where there's room." I could see his logic, but really, I've been wanting to do some things that I can't necessarily get done during the weekdays, and now, those are on hold again because I need to have BB's help with certain aspects of it...

I've done all I can, the house is cleaned, the laundry is done for now, the kids are napping, and I'm unable to do anything else on my project because I need an extra body to move some things around...and this weekend, he's already got booked up with things that he wants to do...so it'll be another week unless I can figure out how to do it solo.

I'm a little bit stressed out about it, sort of upset, and a little miffed that his project, once again, took center stage and totally ate up our entire weekend.

In other news, DG is so stinking close to being potty trained...she's doing really well, and I'd say about 95% of the time, she's getting to the potty before she needs to go, not after she's started. If we can have her out of Pull-ups by the middle of October, I'll be a happy Mama. I can already imagine how nice it will be to not have to buy so many packages of disposable training pants each month...Captain has had some regression, due, in part, to the arrival of Littlest One, the change of the season and so much disruption of his routines, along with a major growth spurt...we used to be dry during nap time and now, he's not. We were on our way to night-time dryness, and now? We're back to major issues.

It's hard not to get discouraged, and to feel like a bit of a failure at times like this, but then I remember that I'm not being graded or judged on things like when my kids were potty trained and how disorganized my basement is...

Still, I ask for your prayers as I struggle to balance the changing dynamic of my family, and seek to find God's will for my life.

As a friend shared on FB earlier today, what she learned at the WOF conference was:
"Sheep follow the shepherd. They don't wake up each morning and wonder 'What can I do today to become a better sheep?'"

No comments: